|
Hey guys i'm BACK! Right now, i'm just trying to catch up with every thing in life - school (and the mood for school), music, emails (uni email, ivle, radio email, gmail, hotmail, so many mails!) and of course not forgetting all my dear friends! haha.Friday, January 15, 2010 I should be spending my time meeting my friends the next two weeks so i'm pretty excited :) Anyway, the trip has been good, very tiring though i have add. Movng from one hotel to the next, one state to the next, one attraction to another, EVERY SINGLE DAY for the past month is definitely a feat haha. In summary, i was there at USA from 9 Dec 09 to 9 Jan 10. Cities/Town/States i went to: 1) Davis (9 Dec - 13 Dec 09) 2) San Francisco (14 Dec - 21 Dec 09) 3) Los Angeles/Hollywood (22 Dec - 23 Dec 09) 4) Anaheim/Disneyland (24 Dec - 26 Dec 09) 5) Washington D.C. (27 Dec - 29 Dec 09) 6) Boston (4 Jan - 5 Jan 10) 7) New York (30 Dec 09 - 3 Jan 10; 6 Jan - 9 Jan 10) These are the more significant moments from my month-long USA trip: (the whole collection's on my FB) 1) Beautiful Nice San Francisco I spent the second most time in the city (most was NYC) and it was probably the only city where i felt i had all the time in the world to slowly explore. People were nice, the public transport there was good and efficient, the weather was great (not that cold) and the view is great too. 2) Buzz of Times Square! I can’t stress how much I love Times Square. The enormous billboards and advertisements, the flashing neon lights and the buzz of the crowd that shape up this shopping and entertainment district is electrifying. I had the luxury to shop down Times Square at my own pace and freedom and I loved every minute of it. 3) Beautiful Monuments/ Buildings in Washington D.C Seeing historical monuments like the Lincoln Memorial and other buildings like the White House and Capitol Hill were an absolute delight. I love seeing all these beautiful architecture. The fact that Washington was safe and clean was an added bonus. 4) Seeing the HOLLYWOOD Sign All the hype of Los Angeles was on dear old glamorous Hollywood. And the excitement to see the Hollywood sign was an experience by itself. The day I went there were such big winds (and we were all severely unprepared – blame it on the fine weather the day before which misguided us) that on top of our excitement to see the sign, we were “treated” to the cold brutal winds on the Hollywood Hills. 5) Rest of New York (Central Park, New York Skyline, Wall Street, Statue of Liberty) Spending the most time in NYC allowed me to explore it pretty thoroughly. Central Park has great view (I’m sure it’ll be great in summer), the New York Skyline is breathtaking (love the Chrysler Building!), and it’s certainly amazing to witness the Statue Of Liberty in person. Very glad I did tons of things in this city I love a lot. 6) Snow for the very first time After 21 and a half years, I’ve finally seen snow in its action. Falling snow, not fallen snow for once. Haha. I went “Awwww….” at first sight and it was just a wonderful feeling. It happened for half a day on one morning when we were in New York. Then, Krys and I proceeded to kick the soft snow, childishly indulge on seeing our footsteps on the snow, creating our own mini snowmans and yes, making our snow angels! 7) New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden I know I’m not a big fan of sports, but who says I have anything against watching people play sports haha. Well, it was good to step into the world’s most famous arena, the Madison square garden, to catch an exciting game of basketball. It was a close game, but Thank God the New York Knicks won! 8) Disneyland on Christmas Maybe I was a few years too late. I feel too old to appreciate the innocence of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. Still, it was a return to simpler days. The fireworks on Christmas night at Disneyland captured the magical feeling of Christmas. Amazing. 9) Adventure Rides I’ve always craved an adrenaline rush since the last time I went on a thrilling adventure ride since god-knows-when. The California Adventure Park satisfied my craving, though not thoroughly haha. The rollercoaster was great, the slingshot was good, and the rest were interesting enough to keep me entertained for the day. I still miss the slingshot in Genting! 10) Cirque Du Soleil An impromptu decision to watch the famous Cirque Du Soleil in San Francisco was one of the best decisions of the trip. The acrobatics were insane and insanely exciting. Plus, watching with the American public was great cause they were all engaging audiences. 11) Ashlee Simpson at Broadway Though I was coughing many times during the show (I hope I didn’t disrupt the show =X!), I still enjoyed watching authentic Broadway show at Broadway itself. Plus, there was Ashlee Simpson! Yes, Ashlee Simpson-Wentz, I correct myself. Haha. During the month of examinations, she was the centre of my attention due to the convenient timing of the Ashlee Simpson show replay at lunchtime. It must be fate. My first celebrity sighting in USA. Haha. 12) Hotel Hopping & Squeezing This constantly moving tire me through and through. Maybe that’s why I’m stupendously tired since I’m back. Haha. I think we stayed around ten plus hotels/hostels altogether. Imagine me carrying my three bags (my laptop bag with small stuff and two luggages) on the streets of NYC, Washington etc. Bedsqueezing with four others for most of the trip was also an experience of itself. Back and shoulder aches come complimentary haha 13) Disappointing Blue Man Group The show I MOST wanted to watch turned out to be the most disappointing show. To be fair, it was nice, but too amateurish for me. Plus, it was the most expensive “show” I went to – others were Cirque Du Soleil, New York Knicks, Broadway. What I waited to see, the display of colours, the drumming, the moves, were severely lacking. Sighs... Should’ve watched STOMP instead (heard from an American it was the best performance he’s ever watched.) 14) Unglamness of LA Besides the Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles was a major disappointment. Dirty subways, homeless people, poor public transport system, ugly streets. That was not what I was expecting! And I didn’t even catch a single celebrity in Hollywood. And where was my love, Lauren Conrad??? haha 15) Freedom in USA It’s easy to see why USA is the land of the free. Food, drinks, even bikes on the subway, free seating in cinemas, amazing variety of choices in supermarket, lovey-dovey gays in public. Yups, that’s is the United States of America. There are pros and cons obviously. But, I kinda think its better to be free than be bounded by tons of rules and law in Singapore (so suffocating!). 16) Food in USA Food is expensive in the States. And yes, food come in larger sizes too. So I made myself finish the food (as much as possible) to make my money value. Haha. And of course, tons of French fries, pizzas and hot dogs along the way. 17) Nasty Cab Drivers You’ll consider yourself lucky if you get a nice taxi driver in USA. Otherwise, prepare to argue with them or let them cheat your money away. 18) Harvard / MIT Breathing the air from Harvard was on the top of the list when we went to Boston. Hopefully it helps with this semester. (P.S: doesn’t seem to be working, already missed four lectures and counting!) 19) Wine Tasting at Napa Valley music.city.soul || 10:07 AM || 0 comments |
music.city.soulTag If You VisitHEART LINKSArchives |